The Prairie du Chien treaty in 1830 established the 33,000 acre Half Breed Tract, a reservation for the descendants of French Canadian Fur Traders and Native American women. It extended from Barn Bluff in Red Wing to the Beef River below Wabasha and 15 miles inland from the Mississippi River (designated as 292 on the map).
This is a copy of a Half Breed Script issued to Daniel Cratt on November 24th, 1856. Half Breed Script, which gave people of “mixed blood” title to the land, was issued by the United States government. This property ownership issue had to be resolved before Lake City could be incorporated as a city in 1872.